RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, June 21, 2010
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll Call - 7 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of May 24, 2010 Board Meeting minutes
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-5094 and T-5104; 1411 Kains Ave. and 1411 Kains Ave., Unit A
This is a landlord appeal of a hearing examiner decision that found that the landlord failed to refund the security deposits and security deposit interest to former tenants in two units at the same property. The appeal was filed more than 30 days after the landlord is presumed to have received the hearing examiner decision. Therefore, the Board must determine whether the appeal was timely.
6. Special report by Rent Board Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan, on pending housing legislation. The Board will discuss and may take action in support or opposition of items reported on, including:
AB 2337 (Ammiano) Public retirement systems; predatory investment practices
AB 2743 (Nava) Real property; rentals; animals
AB 1800 (Ma) Unlawful rental of residential dwelling; felony or misdemeanor.
AB 2706 (Lowenthal, Bonnie) Civil rights; homeless persons.
7. Discussion and adoption of the Fiscal Year 2010/2011 Budget and Staffing Model. [Item posted 6/22/2010.] The Board will discuss and take action on the Fiscal Year 2010/2011 Budget and Staffing Model. (Executive Director)
8. Recommendation from the IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee concerning changes to the Rental Housing Safety Program. The Board will discuss and may take action on a report from the Committee on proposed changes to the Rental Housing Safety Program (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
9. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3824 1411 Parker Street
3847 2435 – 9th Street
3849 1821 Fairview Street
3850 1631 Euclid Avenue
3861 2646 Dana Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3830 1501 Virginia Street
3844 2926 Stanton Street
3853 2244 Russell Street
3854 2231 Cedar Street
3860 2010-10th Street
10. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Deputy Director Search update. (Executive Director)
(2) Copy of May 18, 2010 memo to City Council from City Manager Phil Kamlarz, titled “Summary of Costs Related to the Initiative Ordinance Enacting New Requirements for the City Council and Rent Stabilization Board and Boards and Commissions Relating to Agendas and Meetings, Requiring Additional Disclosure of Public Records, and Creating a New Commission” (Executive Director)
(3) Update on status of the Retaliation Ordinance (Executive Director/Commissioner Drake)
(4) Update on the 2009 Berkeley Housing Element (Executive Director)
(5) Letter from PRC Chairman, George D. Perezvelez, to Hearing Examiner Lillian Mayers extending gratitude for her diligent work and enthusiasm during the three months she was Acting PRC Officer (Executive Director)
(6) Copy of letter to City Council regarding Fiscal Year 2010-2011 Budget Recommendation concerning Soft Story Buildings (Chair Stephens)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. June 18th meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. Approved May 20th meeting minutes.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
a. Approved May 24th meeting minutes.
b. June 21st meeting agenda.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
a. June 9th meeting agenda.
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
NOTE: ATTENDEES AT PUBLIC MEETINGS ARE REMINDED THAT OTHER ATTENDEES MAY BE SENSITIVE TO VARIOUS ODORS, WHETHER NATURAL OR MANUFACTURED, IN PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS. PLEASE HELP THE CITY RESPECT THESE NEEDS.