RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Thursday, February 25, 2010
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Avenue
Classroom A/B, Second Floor
Please note the change in location.
This meeting will not be broadcast
1. Roll Call - 7 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of January 21, 2010 regular Board meeting minutes.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-5070; 2520 Durant Ave. #302. This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded the tenant rent reductions for various habitability violations and decrease in services. On appeal, the tenant alleges that the landlord, Mark Buxton, lied under oath at the hearing on this matter and that the hearing examiner did not award enough of a rent reduction for the items in the petition. Upon review of the testimony and evidence in the record, there is substantial evidence to support the hearing examiner’s award in the decision. For this reason, staff recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
6. Special report by Rent Board Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan, on housing legislation update.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Second reading of proposed amendments to Regulation 702 – Payment of Interest on Security Deposits (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(2) Second Reading of proposed amendments to Regulation 1266 – Self Labor (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(3) Reminder that your questions and comments should be sent to Stephen Barton before his final report on results of the Survey of Tenants of Registered rent Units in Berkeley, which will be presented at the next regularly broadcast meeting in March. (Executive Director)
(4)Discussion and possible action on recommendation from the Ad Hoc Committee on a procedure to select a replacement for the vacant seat on the Board. (Ad Hoc Committee on Filling Board Vacancy)
(5) Update on Recycling in Multi-Unit Buildings. (Commissioner Tregub) (To be delivered)
(6) Proposal on Waivers. (Commissioner Tregub) (To be delivered)
(7) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3812 1909 – 8th Street
3828 1212 Ashby Avenue
3836 3151 Eton Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3814 2756 Acton Street
3825 2501 Prince Street
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Committee assignments. (Chair Stephens)
(2) Update on Rent Board Deputy Director Council report. (Executive Director)
(3) Lawful Rent Ceiling letters to landlords and tenants. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. January 22nd meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. January 21st meeting minutes.
b. February 18th agenda.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on filling vacant board member seat.
a. February 19th agenda.
(8) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.