Recreation Office, 2701 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705
TEL: (510) 981-5140, TDD: (510) 981-6903, FAX: (510) 981-5160
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm
See Holiday and Reduced Service Day Schedule
Youth and Adult Sports
Now accepting applications for the Summer 2016 season!
Application Deadline: March 14, 2016 (or until all positions are filled)
The City of Berkeley Sports Program provides quality sports activities to the diverse Berkeley community, offering opportunities to experience interpersonal growth, social development, improved physical and mental health, and to develop lifetime leisure skills for a healthier lifestyle. We offer competitive, recreational, and development programs in baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, and softball, for youth and adults in the City of Berkeley throughout the year.
CURRENT POSITION OPENINGS
Sports Field Monitor
Must be 18 years or older
$11.12 per hour (to start)
This position is responsible for routine site preparation for sporting events at ball fields, gymnasiums, and outdoor hard courts. Performs related work as assigned.
Equivalent to graduation from high school. Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs. Sufficient playing experience in assigned sport to demonstrate an appropriate knowledge of the rules of play is desirable.
Must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Berkeley to meet the program needs and to fulfill the job responsibilities. When driving on City business, the incumbent is required to maintain a valid California driver's license as well as a satisfactory driving record. Must be willing to work out of doors and must be willing to work afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Current CPR and First Aid certificate is desirable.
Must be 18 years or older
$18.26 per hour (to start)
Sports Officials may officiate a wide variety of sports including, but not limited to: basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball at an assigned gymnasium, ball field or court.
Successful candidates must possess a high level of knowledge of the rules and regulations for particular sports and work without direct technical supervision. Sufficient officiating or playing experience to demonstrate knowledge of specific sports is desirable. Certification as an official in the specific sport is desirable.
Application Process (for all Summer positions):
- Download an Employment Application. Be sure to mark all program areas in which you would like to be considered for employment.
- Fill out application and complete supplemental questionnaires (only applicable for Berkeley Day Camp and Echo Lake Camp applicants) and sign them.
- In the "Employment Record" portion of the City's application, list all your paid or volunteer experience as it applies to the job. Examples include: camp counselor positions, babysitting jobs, youth coaching experience, leadership camps, youth mentoring programs, etc.
- In the "Relevant licenses, certificates, or training" portion of the City's application, list all relevant certificates that apply to the job. Examples include: First Aid and CPR, Lifeguard, WSI, etc.
- Attach all required certificates with your application. (Please refer under "job requirements" for required certificates for the position you are applying for with the City.)
You may mail or drop-off your completed applications to:
City of Berkeley Recreation Division
2701 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
- You may also fax your application to (510) 981-5160.
- Upon receipt, your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted by phone or email if you are selected for an interview.
Candidates under serious consideration must provide proof of a recent negative TB test prior to employment. An original Social Security card is also required.
California state law requires that all recreation employees and volunteers having direct contact, supervisory or disciplinary authority over minors be fingerprinted as a condition of employment. Candidates under serious considering for hire will be referred for fingerprinting.
Candidates under the age of 18 will require a work permit.
*(pdf) This is a pdf format, if you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, please download from City's download site. If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via email (email@example.com), (510) 981-5150, or TDD (510) 981-6903.