Translation Disclaimer

Building and Safety
Building and Safety


Forms, Applications and Guidelines for Construction 

Forms and Applications:

This link will take you to the City’s On-Line Service Center, which allows you to view and print forms and applications for services throughout the City.  Scroll through the Planning Department forms to find the information you need under “Building and Safety,” “ Permit Service Center ,” “Engineering,” and “Fire Protection.”

Guidelines for Construction:

Detailed Information about construction of specific projects is provided below to assist you.  The information is to be used as a guideline only.  If you need further information, please contact us via e-mail, telephone (981-7440), or TDD (981-7474)


Effective March 1, 2009, State law (Health and Safety Code Section 19825) requires certain forms be filed by owner builders before obtaining a permit. If you are not using a licensed contractor to perform the work, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Owner Builder Verification & Limitation of Sale Forms before obtaining a permit. 

If you are using an authorized agent (i.e., a relative, friend or permitting service company) to obtain the building permit, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Authorization of Agent Form before obtaining a permit.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Building and Safety, 1947 Center St, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7440
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903