City of Berkeley Shelter Plus Care Program
The Berkeley Shelter Plus Care Program is a housing subsidy program for individuals who are chronically homeless in Berkeley. The Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and operated by the Berkeley Health, Housing and Community Services Department in collaboration with several community agencies. Participants pay approximately 30% of their income towards rent, and receive ongoing supportive services.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Chronically Homeless according to HUD based on the following criteria:
1.) Homeless according to one of the below definitions
- Continuously homeless on the streets or in shelters for last 12 consecutive months;
- Currently on the streets or in a shelter for less than 12 months, with at least 4 separate occasions of being homeless and on the streets/in shelters during the past 3 years as long as the combined occasions equal at least 12 months; OR
- Staying in an institutional care facility for fewer than 90 days and prior to that met the above criteria for being chronically homeless (Institutional care facilities include jails, substance abuse or mental health treatment facilities, hospitals or other similar facilities).
- Residing in transitional housing and prior to that met the above criteria for being chronically homeless (Persons in transitional housing do not meet HUD criteria, but may qualify for City of Berkeley program on a limited basis).
- AND -
2.) Disabled due to one or more of the following conditions:
- Severe mental illness
- Drug/alcohol dependence
- Physical disability
- Chronic medical condition
Priority will be given to those with a high need for services as determined by: a life-threatening health condition; frequent use of emergency services or multiple hospitalizations; or frequent contacts with law enforcement officials.
How does someone apply?
Access to the City of Berkeley Shelter Plus Care Program is managed by the City’s Coordinated Entry System (CES) operated by Berkeley Food and Housing Project. Homeless households in Berkeley will be assessed for eligibility for the program and prioritized based on history of homelessness and level of need.
Eligible individuals and families can apply in person at the following location or by calling 1-866-960-2132.
Berkeley Food and Housing Project
1901 Fairview Street at Adeline Street
Berkeley, CA 94703
Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
For more information contact the City of Berkeley Health, Housing & Community Services Department at (510) 981-5400.